Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Dust is Settling....and then Fran Russo!!!!

Yep, the election dust is settling here in Hollywood. Late that night our household was hit hard by some cold/flu bug. My husband was sick over the weekend, but once Owen woke up with a 102 degree fever and then I got it last night the game was over. Besides having to deal with all of us sickies, I just haven't felt inspired to comment on the election results. We all know who won, our boy Pete!!!!!! woo hoo! I was going to comment on Mara's reaction to loosing, such a poor sport she is, but just felt that continuing to talk about Mara Giulianti, when we have such an exciting time ahead of us, would be counter-productive. Besides, no one could do it better than Sun-Sentinel columnist Michael Mayo, read it read it read it!!!!  But I do want to say that getting involved in Peter and Sara's campaign, as late as in the game as it was, was an unbelievable experience.   I met so many amazing people who truly care and are passionate about Hollywood.  Again, it was amazing!!  I want to give a shout out to my new best buddy Ken!!!  Owen and I worked the polls together with Ken, from beginning to end!! (albeit we did leave twice for nap and meal time, Owen is only 14 months!)  Really, it just felt so good to be a part of the whole democratic process!  This is what truly makes us Americans!!!  (Wow!  I feel so patriotic right now!)  The election brought my neighbors together and gave my husband and I something else to talk about other than Britney Spears's latest antics!   Sara Case, Peter Bober, David Mach, sweet Howard (who forwarded my website www.candidsbycourtney.com, to all his friends) Lori Gold, Ilana, really have lit the fire in me, and I look forward to being an active participant in our community!  Ken's going to be my date at the city commission meetings from here on out!!!

But as I before mentioned,  after the election I wasn't all that inspired to write or comment UNTIL NOW!! ...hold on to your hats...............  Like I said you gotta read Michael Mayo's column in today's paper!  There was another great article in the paper today written by Ihosvani Rodriguez, I've really enjoyed his articles too, during the past week or so.  So anyway, he writes about Peter Bober and how there's three new commissioners and three veterans. One of which is Fran Russo, district 5.   Ms. Russo is a Mara supporter.  (the following is a direct quote!) "A lot of people didn't vote for him in my district, and I openly supported Mara.  I am sure he's (Peter Bober) going to try to make me pay for it."  GOING TO MAKE ME PAY FOR IT!!!????  Are you kidding me????!!!!  Who did we elect as our new mayor "Tony Soprano"?Where does she think we live?  IRAQ!!!??  As a citizen of Hollywood, this statement concerns...no troubles me for two reasons!  Although Ms. Russo technically represents district 5 (west Hollywood) she still votes on issues that concern my district, 1. So really she represents my neighbors and I as well.  It troubles me greatly that she is already going into this new term with such a negative/chip on her shoulder attitude.   It is obvious that Fran is a very very angry and bitter woman.   Each new term, regardless of who won the Mayor's race, should be thought of as a new fresh opportunity.  As a teacher I loved the beginning of each new school year.  New books, new supplies, new clothes, new students.....  If I went into each new school year with the same prejuidices and expectations that I had for past students, I would be setting myself, my students, my school, and the parents....everyone involved, I would be setting them up for failure!  That is exactly what an attitude like Fran Russo is going to do.  She has already made up her mind to the type of commissioner is going to be, and what kind of mayor Peter is going to be.  It's very very frightening.  Someone who goes around thinking that people are "out to get her" is the same person who makes decisions based on trying to "get" other people.  After a public comment such as that, I have no faith that Ms. Russo will make the best decisions for our city.  Secondly, this greatly troubles me because here we have an elected official who doesn't have enough common sense and professionalism to not only say something like this in public, but to a newspaper reporter who writes for a very well read local newspaper.  Fran, do you have any idea what a comment like that makes you look like???  Ignorant & uneducated is kind!!!!  It's one thing to make a comment like that in the privacy of your own home, to your spouse, or some good friends, but to a newspaper reporter??!!  UNBELIEVABLE!!!  Hats off to Commissioner Richard Blattner and Hollywood Police Lt. Jeff Marano, both Giulianti supporters, they were gracious and kind and gentlemen when asked about the upcoming term with Mayor Peter Bober.  Regardless of how they might truly feel, the were extremely honorable, and showed immense amounts of respect, and for that I truly respect them!!!  Regardless of who you supported on Tuesday, we are ALL playing on the same team here guys!!   So back to Fran.....I just don't know how we, residents of Hollywood, can depend on her to make clear, concise, well thought out decisions.   She is lacking in common sense and good judgement!  Hollywood has no room for that.  We've dealt with that for the last 20 years!!!!   Mayor Bober said it best, "One of the first changes people will see is that there's going to be a mayor that stresses respect.  There needs to be a level respect whether you agree or disagree with your colleagues or residents."  So Commissioner Russo, are you up to that challenge???!!!

Lastly, I just can't help myself and have to make one last Mara comment.  In the same article, at the very tail end, Rodriguez writes that Giulianti "won't be offering her comments as a private citizen at commission meetings."  Mara goes on to say (again, direct quote here people) "I'm definitely not going to be one of those gadflies."    Now to be completely honest, I didn't know exactly what a "gadfly" was other than it probably wasn't very nice being that it came out of her mouth.  So I looked it up!  (gotta love dictionary.com)  Besides being "any of various flies"  the second definition read as follows:  "a person who persistently annoys or provokes others with criticism, schemes, ideas, demands, requests, etc"    Wow, my mouth hit the floor.   So all of you concerned Hollywood residents, who thought you were doing your civic duty to attend these city commission meetings, for the last 20 years you were thought of as nothing more than "annoying" with all your "criticism, schemes, IDEAS, demands, requests, etc."  Wow, she must share the same amount of common sense with Fran Russo here!  Mara, you really have a way of leaving us with a warm fuzzy feeling as you graciously walk out the door.  Don't let it hit you on the way out on Tuesday!!!!  I'll be there cheering!!!!


1 comment:

Candids by Courtney said...

Guest Contributor... Mayor Bober..

Dear Friends of Courtney,

Politics in Hollywood has shown itself to be a most dirty business, but, it doesn't have to be. There are many wonderful things that can still be accomplished...if you rise above it, forgive, forget and know when to bury the hatchet. I have already spoken with many folks who vigorously worked against me. All is forgotten. Holding grudges accomplishes nothing, and there is too much at stake. The public expects civility and respect and we need to try and bring it out as much as possible. I think that is what leadership is all about.

As elected officials, we must represent everyone, even if they voted against us, and build bridges based on community interest. The election may have had two camps, but Hollywood is one city, and I think we, now, have a newly elected commission that will make great things happen. There is simply no alternative to working together, effectively.